- Gift Vouchers
- Workshops and courses
- Teacher training
- Advanced teacher training
- Get in touch
- My account
A course with Andrew McGonigle
Starts Sat 6 Apr 2024
Explore the anatomy and physiology of our incredible human body applied to practising and teaching yoga.
For teachers (and interested students).
Sat 6th Apr 2024 ~ 10:30am to 5:30pm (7hrs)
Sun 7th Apr 2024 ~ 10:30am to 5:30pm (7hrs)
- £240 -
You can pay by instalments if it's easier - £80 deposit + 4 payments of £40.
“The most useful and informative days that I have spent in years!” Jo W, Yoga Teacher
In this two-day immersion we will explore in detail the anatomy and physiology of our incredible human body applied to practising and teaching yoga. Each topic that we delve into will be related directly back to the asana practice. The sessions will be interactive and experiential and will vary between discussion, lecture, small group work, personal reflection and asana exploration. There will be a strong focus on using knowledge of anatomy to make asana practices as inclusive as possible. A detailed manual will be included.
The immersion is ideal for yoga practitioners with an established practice, who want to learn more about the human body, go deeper in their own yoga practice and develop a teaching style that is up to date, empowering and inclusive. We will explore anatomy to a depth that is appropriate for teaching yoga.
By the end of the weekend you will feel inspired and empowered to teach yoga to the best of your ability. You will have the confidence to break down any yoga asana with a clear understanding of the key actions and movements and know how to work with your own unique anatomy and that of your student.
* An Introduction to Intelligent Movement Principals:
- An introduction to muscle looking at its structure and function and how we can apply the knowledge of stretch reflexes to deepen our practice
- The structure and function of bone and joints looking at both the importance and limitation of alignment and what limits our movement
- Whether yoga alone can reverse bone loss
- How a knowledge of fascia can impact our movement on and off the mat
- The Nocebo Effect and choosing empowering language
- What causes muscle tightness
- Flexibility vs mobility
- Anatomical language and how this can help us to remember the names of some of our muscles
* A Detailed Exploration of the Lower Limbs:
- An exploration of our feet and ankles looking at their structure and function and how we can apply this knowledge on and off the mat
- Why our knee joints may be vulnerable to injury and how to support them
- A detailed look at the hip joints focusing on what makes each of us so unique
- Piriformis Syndrome
* A Detailed Exploration of the Upper Limbs:
- The importance of shoulder joint and girdle mobility and stability in our yoga practice
- An evidence-based approach to Shoulder Impingement
- Hyperextension of the elbow joint
- Why wrist pain is so common in yoga
* A Detailed Exploration of the Spine:
- An exploration of our pelvis and sacroiliac joints and how to keep this area supported during our asana practice
- An evidence-based approach to back pain and prolapsed discs
- The anatomy of our core musculature
- Increasing thoracic spine mobility
- Supporting our cervical spine during inversions
- An evidence-based approach to releasing neck tension
This immersion counts towards CPD requirements for Yoga Alliance members (12 contact hours).
Each day will run from 10.30am - 1.30pm + 2.30pm - 5.30pm
* Please note Workshops will be refunded only if we can find someone to take your place. Obviously we will take account of exceptional circumstances - please contact reception at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help *